"Really strong" sequential growth at Amazon Web Services (AWS) propelled it to a five-year high in its share of the cloud infrastructure service market.
According to new Q4 data from Synergy Research, 25% revenue growth from Q3 enabled AWS to grab a 30% worldwide market share in the final quarter of the year.
Microsoft again achieved the highest year-on-year revenue growth, followed by Google, as all three cloud operators outperformed the total market growth and gained market share.
IBM growth was broadly in line with the market so its overall market share held steady, while it continued to lead in the private & hybrid service segment.
“Many actual or perceived barriers to cloud adoption have now been removed and the worldwide market is on a strong growth trajectory,” says John Dinsdale, a Chief Analyst and Research Director, Synergy Research Group.
“The momentum that has been built up at AWS and Microsoft is particularly impressive.
"They have an ever-broadening portfolio of services and they are also benefitting from a slowdown in the super-aggressive price competition that was a feature of the first half of 2014."
For full-year 2014 AWS share of the worldwide market was 28%, followed by Microsoft (10%), IBM (7%), Google (5%), salesforce (4%) and Rackspace (3%).
With most of the major operators having now released their earnings data for Q4, Synergy estimates that quarterly cloud infrastructure service revenues (including IaaS, PaaS and private and hybrid cloud) are now approaching the US$5 billion milestone, with trailing twelve-month revenues exceeding $16 billion.
In addition, total 2014 revenues grew by 48% from the previous year.
- Microsoft touted to make "significant" surge as tablet growth hits the brakes
- 100 million and counting as Kiwi software firm reaches major milestone
- HP expands Helion Cloud portfolio
- Boost for partner networks as Software AG deploys full cloud portfolio on AWS
- Formula One: A Technology Race
- INSIGHT: Top 7 common misconceptions about SDN
- Amazon, Microsoft and Salesforce top Forrester cloud platform list
- Plantronics Reseller Conference California (+10 photos)
- Cyclone shakes up NZ education sector with Google deal
- SAP shifts focus to services
- Search: New CFO ... Results: Google
- Why technological change is making IT decisions harder
- 1 in 10 NZ IT teams waste over $100K a year on redundant tech
Join the CIO New Zealand group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.