Size of IS shop: 20
Mobile PCs: 1000
Hand-held devices: 910
Total screens: 2413
Industry: IT supplier
PC environment: Windows XP, Linux, IBM, Lenovo
Server environment: Windows XP, 2003; Linux; IBM
DBMS: DB2, Lotus, SQL
Address: The Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, Wellington
Key IS projects this year: Cisco Call Manager upgrade; Network and infrastructure upgrades; IBM datacentre fit out (East Tamaki, Auckland); internet gateway refresh; rogue wireless detection; review/upgrade of videoconference facilities; LAN printer refresh.
The upcoming migration of IBM New Zealand’s internal network into its new Reliability Level 3+ datacentre located in East Tamaki, Auckland, is one of the biggest, most complex and exciting internal projects the organisation will have undertaken in many years, says IT manager Doug Stuart.
With ICT budgets and projects both up this year by more than 10 percent, the IS team will also be busy on a LAN printer refresh; review and upgrade of videoconferencing facilities; rogue wireless detection, an internet gateway refresh, network and infrastructure upgrades; and upgrades to Cisco Call Manager.
Part of IBM New Zealand’s ICT is managed within the country, while part is managed globally. However, they collectively work together through an IT strategy that helps drive business growth by enabling:
- Flexibility and mobility — employees have access to tools that enable flexible and mobile working, meaning they can work virtually anywhere, anytime;
- Increased productivity — IBM’s flexibility/mobility options ensure that employees don’t lose valuable, productive time because they can’t get online or access the systems they need from wherever they are;
- Greater cost efficiencies — through a combination of consolidation of servers and support, coupled with automation and simplification of IT processes;
- Ability to collaborate — internally as well as with external partners and suppliers; and
- Improved sustainability — through consolidation of servers, resulting in less power consumption and a smaller space footprint.
Join the CIO New Zealand group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.