Agile methodology is moving out of the software development team and becoming a core part of IT and business collaboration.
Stories by Tim Mendham
Carsten Larsen is not the CIO of the organisation he works for, despite the fact that he talks, lives and breathes IT. “I love IT, it’s my passion,” he says.
Ajay Bhatia, CIO at Carsales.com is one of three CIOs facing unique challenges at online classified sites where delivering digital services is at the heart of their organisations.
A billion dollar enterprise that employs just over 4500 people. An organisation that is pushing the boundaries of new communications technologies. A corporation that is constantly developing new products and services to reach the widest audience, both within Australia and internationally. And a business that has just passed its 80th birthday, and is a technology leader in its industry.
Not many CIOs would have 23 million stakeholders, nor would they be working for an organisation that has been around for more than a century, has an organisation-wide budget of $4.6 billion, and an involvement in some of the most controversial and sensitive social issues in the history of the country.
Does the board respect the CIO’s viewpoint? Are CIOs seen as ‘big picture’ people? Does the board see the CIO’s role as purely a technical one? Could a CIO ever be CEO? According to a recent survey, 54 per cent of CIOs have aspirations to use their role as a gateway to general business management positions, and many consider themselves as a contender for future chief executive.
Earthquakes? Volcanoes? Pandemics? Tsunamis? Are these the stuff of business continuity? Gartner has issued several papers covering major disasters such as the Iceland volcano eruption and its impact on business travel, admitting that “few, if any, businesses plan for a volcanic ash disruption scenario”, which is probably the understatement of the year.
Postgraduate study is a decision not lightly taken because of huge demands on time, money and the sacrifices in family and recreation, but it does open doors. Tim Mendham looks at the coming crop of courses.
- CCData Management OfficerNSW
- CCIteration Manager - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- CCSCCM Deployment TechnicianACT
- CCSenior Salesforce Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTCustomer Support OfficerSA
- CCProject OfficerNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Data Centre Capacity / Facilities Engineer - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Application DevelopmentWA
- CCSystems / Storage EngineerWA
- CCDevOps EngineerWA
- CCMS Exchange / Messaging AdministratorWA
- CCControl Systems SpecialistQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- CCData ScientistVIC
- CCChange ManagerQLD
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- CCWintel EngineerQLD