Managing cloud infrastructure and services is similar to traditional <a href="http://www.networkworld.com/topics/network-management.html">network management</a> - only bigger, badder and more complex.
Stories by Beth Schultz
1. Arm yourself with salary statistics when you meet for your annual review. Patti Henderson, IT director at Boise, Idaho, law firm Givens Pursley, got an above-average 8 per cent raise this year by using statistics to show her superiors just how comparatively inferior her salary was. The statistics came from IT sources, such as the 2006 Network World Salary Survey, as well as from the American Legal Association. "I've been following salary surveys for the last three years . . . and I requested a substantial raise on the idea that here are all these surveys [showing that I'm underpaid for the work I do]," she says.
2. Increase your chances of getting budget approvals by knowing when the company's financials look strong. IT Manager Pam Davey says this tactic has worked well for her at Buyers Products, a Cleveland, Ohio, company that makes products for the mobile-equipment industry. While not required to submit a formal budget, Davey does keep the company controller regularly up-to-date on her long-term spending requirements. But she also tracks the bottom line so "I know when the time is right to ask for more money," she says.
Benevolent entanglement." The phrase might be a mouthful, but the concept is what building an extended enterprise network ought to be all about, says Brandon Lackey, portal program manager at energy industry giant Halliburton Co. In other words, involve customers and suppliers in a business ecosystem that provides such high value, so simply, few would leave it.
"We want our customers to be so enamored with our simple processes, ease of use [and value provided through the portal] that they would never switch from Halliburton based on marginal price differences," Lackey says.
- FTTechnical Analyst, Cybercrime OperationsACT
- FTTechnical Analyst, Cybercrime OperationsVIC
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- CCProject Manager - Network Assurance - TelcoVIC
- CCiMIS AdministratorNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCScrum Master - Digital/ Marketing ProjectsNSW
- FTProject SchedulersSA
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- CCSenior ETL Developer/DesignerVIC
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCDevOps Developer (Brisbane Location)VIC
- CCTraining and Support LeadNSW
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantACT
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCUser Research - QualitativeACT
- CCRF Engineer - Melbourne Based, Start ASAPVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- CCNetwork Designer - TelcoVIC
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.