Enterprises are being overrun with consumer technologies like instant messaging, mobile devices, Skype and social networking tools as workers seek to infuse the workplace with the productivity these tools have given them off the corporate clock.
Stories by Heather Havenstein
Perhaps the only issue that sparring Democrats and Republicans can agree on before Tuesday's midterm elections is the increasing importance of using IT to better target specific voters.
As companies look to extend business intelligence capabilities to growing numbers of end users, IT operations are consolidating multiple BI tool sets and forging closer ties with business units.
Attendees at a Computerworld Business Intelligence Perspectives conference in Scottsdale, Arizona, said tool consolidation should make BI tools easier to use and reduce IT support requirements.
Borland Software CEO Dale Fuller resigned Thursday after the company reported preliminary financial results that were lower than expected.
Oracle is maneuvering to bolster its business intelligence market share with new stand-alone query, reporting and analysis tools and an extension of the operational reporting in its applications suite.
The company has introduced an unbundled query, reporting and analysis tool set that was previously packaged with its application server, as well as enhancements to the Daily Business Intelligence (DBI) prebuilt operational reporting tool that ships as part of its E-Business application suite, said analysts who have been briefed by Oracle.
Borland Software and IBM announced upgrades to their development tools this week designed to support heterogeneous environments and more closely link software creation to business goals.
SAS Institute unveiled its new SAS 9 business intelligence platform Tuesday that includes data integration, enhanced analytics, and refined user interfaces designed to drive BI beyond the traditional querying and reporting domain of the high-end business analyst to users throughout the enterprise.
In search of the real-time information exchange and collaboration required by complex supply chains, manufacturers are finding pre-specialized solutions may offer the boost they've been seeking.
Lessons learned from past supply-chain deployments helped enterprises realize that the deep industry knowledge and scalability offered by specialized systems can be key to streamlining a supply chain. In response, best-of-breed vendors are ramping up supply-chain offerings tailored for specific vertical markets, such as consumer packaged goods and process manufacturing. Other companies are turning to their ERP vendors for supply-chain modules that snap on to existing accounting and HR systems, and the enterprise application companies are mounting their own efforts to lasso vertical business by touting the easy integration of their products to existing back-end systems.
Vigilant in the quest to deliver real-time data, BI (business intelligence) and enterprise application vendors are turning to analytic tools in an attempt to energize the supply chain.
Enterprise application vendors are catching the pervasive-computing bug. Following the porting of enterprise-grade applications to PDAs, advances in network switching technology are paving the way for high-end cellular handsets called smart phones.
- FTTechnical Analyst, Cybercrime OperationsVIC
- FTTechnical Analyst, Cybercrime OperationsACT
- FTVoice EngineerACT
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperWA
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- CCSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- CCMigration EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness/System Analyst- (Human Capital Management (HCM) )NSW
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperWA
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTPerformance Tester - Load RunnerACT
- CCJunior Test AnalystACT
- CCIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCMySQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - Infrastructure SMENSW
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCSystems AnalystVIC
- CCJunior Security AnalystNSW
- FTProject SchedulersSA
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.