The threats posed by IoT devices are real and have to be addressed with structural changes.
Stories by Evan Schuman
There are many reasons not to pay ransom to regain access to your data. Let’s opt for the selfish one.
Cyberthieves prey on human nature for even more profit.
End-of-mankind predictions about artificial intelligence, which have issued from some of today's most impressive human intellects, including <a href="http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540">Stephen Hawking</a>, <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/03/ai_expert_nick_bostrom_talks_to_el_reg/">Elon Musk,</a> <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/01/28/bill-gates-on-dangers-of-artificial-intelligence-dont-understand-why-some-people-are-not-concerned/">Bill Gates</a>, <a href="http://betanews.com/2015/03/26/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-warns-of-the-dangers-of-artificial-intelligence/">Steve Wozniak</a> and <a href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3165356/Artificial-Intelligence-dangerous-NUCLEAR-WEAPONS-AI-pioneer-warns-smart-computers-doom-mankind.html">other notables,</a> have generally sounded overly alarmist to me, exhibiting a bit more fear-of-the-unknown than I would have expected from such eminences, especially the scientists. But that was before I saw reports on the self-aware robot.
Sometimes, emotions make it difficult to see the most effective way of accomplishing an objective. And emotions can definitely arise when the subject is underage cyberthieves.
In a case of convenience for users trumping security, Starbucks has been storing the passwords for its mobile-payment app, along with geolocation data, in clear text.
The coffee chain was smart enough to push mobile by not initially pushing mobile. It's an approach that can work for your business too, internally and externally.
Companies have to fully confront the privacy issues they face and rethink their policies from the bottom up.
The way Target deployed triple DES encryption for debit card PINs makes its statement about the unlikelihood that they were in danger much more believable.
Issuing deceptive statements is no way to win back customers' trust. That's a lesson for anyone who might find itself in Target's position someday.
- FTTechnical Analyst, Cybercrime OperationsACT
- FTTechnical Analyst, Cybercrime OperationsVIC
- CCSenior Applications EngineerVIC
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- CCTechnical WriterQLD
- FTNetwork and Security EngineerOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystSA
- CCSecurity AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTData Specialist - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystACT
- CCMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- CCProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTHelpdesk OfficerSA
- CCBusiness Analyst (Business Process Modelling) - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCiMIS SpecialistNSW
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.