Strategy can be an art or a science. Most CIOs experience more personal and organisational success when they demonstrate how IT contributes to business success using an artful approach to strategy development.
Stories by Andrew Rowsell-Jones
The greatest challenge faced by enterprises dealing with digitalisation is the question of how they will stay relevant in response to big change and industry disruption.
Effective CIO participation in corporate planning is critical for business and IT success. However, engaging in corporate planning can be a bumpy road for CIOs due to conflicting time lines, power politics, unforeseen shocks and shifting priorities in business units and the corporate office.
Fortunately, it's possible to follow the taillights of some CIOs who have successfully navigated the potholes and washed-out bridges. Their starting point in the planning process was figuring out their enterprise context.
Executive expectations for IT have evolved from delivering technology services to contributing to strategic differentiation and growth of the business. CEOs are increasingly asking their CIOs: Do I have the right IT? And how do I know? To answer these questions, CIOs must connect their IT capabilities with the unique perspectives of their business models for delivering value.
Traditionally, IS organizations are focussed on providing efficient services that run their businesses. This is no longer sufficient. CIOs must engage on top-line growth.
Formula one racing is the pinnacle of motor sports. The courses are demanding and the F1 cars are fast and maneuverable.
CEOs often claim their enterprises are like F1 cars. The truth is many have built cars, or even old school buses, for the main straight only. Try changing direction too fast and the enterprise will crash and burn at the first corner.
- FTChief Digital OfficerACT
- CCCommunications Technician / Auto Electrician / Radio InstallerWA
- CCLand Access Administrators - TelcoVIC
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)VIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCPerl Developer - DevOpsNSW
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- CCProgram Manager l O365, Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- FTCyber Security Engineer - AWS Project!Other
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTCyber Security EngineerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- CCSenior System Engineer l Office 365,Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- CCSenior Scrum MasterVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Penetration TesterACT
- FTSecurity Specialist (SIEM)Other
- FTCyber Security Team LeadOther
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD